Lt. Col. Matthew K. Johnson is the Deputy Commander of the 582d Helicopter Group, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyoming. He assists the Commander with administration and oversight of Air Force Global Strike Command’s rotary-wing forces in defense of America’s strategic, land-based arsenal of 450 intercontinental ballistic missiles. The 582d Helicopter Group’s four squadrons, 25 helicopters, and over 250 personnel conduct combined-arms, full-spectrum nuclear security operations over three dispersed missile complexes spanning five states and 32,000 square miles.
Lt. Col. Johnson entered the Air Force through the United States Air Force Academy in 2000. He has held a variety of assignments and leadership positions in Air Force Global Strike Command, Air Force Space Command, Air Force Special Operations Command and Air Mobility Command. Lt. Col. Johnson served as the Combat Aviation Advisor, at the 6th Special Operations Squadron, in Hurlburt Field, Florida, where he worked to improve the capabilities of partner nations in Africa, Europe and the Pacific. Lt. Col. Johnson served as the Director of Operations and later as Commander, 36th Rescue Flight in Fairchild AFB, Washington. Prior to his current assignment, Lt. Col. Johnson served as commander of the 811th Operations Support Squadron, Joint Base Andrews, Maryland.
2000 Bachelor of Science, Mechanical Engineering, US Air Force Academy, Colo.
2006 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Master of Arts, Military Studies, American Military University, Manassas, Va.
2013 Air Command and Staff School, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence.
2019 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence.
1. Jun 2000 – Dec 2000, Training Officer, 8th Special Operations Squadron, Duke Field, Fla.
2. Jan 2001 – Sep 2002, Under-graduate/Graduate Student, Pilot Training, Various Bases
3. Oct 2002 – Feb 2006, Evaluator Pilot, 40th Helicopter Squadron, Malmstrom AFB, Mont.
4. Mar 2006 – Jan 2007, MH-53 Initial Qualification training, 551st Special Operations Squadron, Kirtland AFB, N.M.
5. Feb 2007 – Jul 2010, Combat Aviation Advisor, 6th Special Operations Squadron, Hurlburt Field, Fla.
6. Aug 2010 – Jul 2013, Director of Operations and Commander, 36th Rescue Flight, Fairchild AFB, Wash.
7. Aug 2013 – Aug 2015, Training, Standardization & Evaluation Branch Chief, Air Force Global Strike Command, Barksdale AFB, La.
8. Sep 2015 – May 2017, Director of Operations, 37th Helicopter Squadron, F.E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
9. June 2017 - June 2019, Commander, 811th Operations Support Squadron, Joint Base Andrews, Md.
10. July 2019 - present, Deputy Group Commander, 582d Helicopter Group, Francis E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
Rating: Command Pilot
Hours: More than 2,900
Aircraft Flown: T-37B, UH-1H/N, TH-1H, MH-53J, Mi-17, OH-58A, EC-130B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Unit Award with oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Humanitarian Service Medal
(Current as of December 2019)