Col. Anthony P. “Tony” Angello is the Mobilization Assistant to the Twentieth Air Force, Air Force Global Strike Command, Francis E. Warren Air Force Base, Wyoming. He is responsible for assisting the commander in the management of the nation's intercontinental ballistic missile force, organized into three missile wings and one air base wing, totaling more than 11,000 people.
Colonel Angello began his career as a 1990 graduate of the United States Air Force Academy. Before joining the Air Force Reserve in 1999, he served nine years on active duty, including flying tours in the Pacific and the continental United States as part of the combat rescue and special operations communities. Since then, he has held numerous squadron, group, and Headquarters Air Force command/leadership positions as part of the Air Force’s mobility mission. Additionally, Colonel Angello commanded deployed mobility airlift support operations in Europe and the Southwest Asia area of operations. In his civilian career, he has over 17 years of experience as a flight officer in the U.S. airline industry.
Prior to assuming his current position, Colonel Angello was the vice commander of 446th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington. Prior to serving as the vice commander, Colonel Angello served as the 446th Operations Group commander where he provided strategic airlift, aeromedical evacuation and Antarctic resupply to Combatant Commanders around the world. Before serving as the Operations Group commander, Colonel Angello was the Reserve Advisor to the Headquarters Air Force Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C. A career instructor pilot and evaluator, Colonel Angello is a command pilot with more than 5,700 fixed and rotary winged military flight hours in the C-17A Globemaster III, T-37, MH-53J/M PAVE LOW III, HH-3E Jolly Green Giant, and the UH-1H Huey.
1990 Bachelors of Science degree in International Relations, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1994 Masters of Science in Human Resource Management, Chapman College, Orange, Calif.
1996 Squadron Officers School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Air Command and Staff College by correspondence
2009 Air War College by correspondence
2010 Reserve Component National Security Course, National Defense University, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2013 Advanced Joint Professional Military Education, Joint Forces Staff College, Norfolk, Va.
2014 Masters of Science in National Security Studies, National War College, Ft. Leslie J. McNair, Washington, D.C.
2016 NATO Senior Officer Policy Course, Oberammergau, Germany.
2016 Director of Mobility Forces Course (DIRMOBFOR), Hurlburt Field, Fla.
1. August 1990 - May 1991, student pilot, Specialized UPT-Helicopter, Fort Rucker, Ala.
2. June 1991 - May 1994, HH-3E Aircraft Commander, 33rd Rescue Squadron (PACAF), Kadena Air Base, Okinawa, Japan.
3. May 1994 - Jan 1995, student pilot, MH-53J, 551st Special Operations Squadron (AETC), Kirtland Air Force Base, Albuquerque, N.M.
4. January 1995 - July 1997, Plans & Programs officer, 20th Special Operations Squadron (AFSOC), Hurlburt Field, Fla.
5. July 1997 - July 1998, Chief, Standardization and Evaluations, 31st Special Operations Squadron (AFSOC), Osan Air Base, Republic of Korea.
6. July 1998 - July 1999, “A” Flight commander, 20th Special Operations Squadron (AFSOC), Hurlburt Field, Fla.
7. July 1999 - February 2010, 728th Airlift Squadron (AFRC), McChord Air Force Base, Tacoma, Wash.
8. February 2010 - September 2011, Commander, 446th Operations Support Flight (AFRC), Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
9. September 2011 - March 2013, Commander, 313th Airlift Squadron (AFRC), Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
10. March 2013 - July 2013, Deputy Commander, 446th Operations Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
11. August 2013 - June 2014. Student, National War College, Ft. Leslie J. McNair, Washington D.C.
12. July 2014 - December 2014, Capabilities Integration Branch Chief, Air Force Air-Sea Battle Office, Air Force/A5SC, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
13. December 2014 - January 2018, Reserve Advisor to the Deputy Chief of Staff, Operations, Air Force/A3, the Pentagon, Washington, D.C.
14. January 2018 – November 2018, Commander, 446th Operations Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
15. November 2018 – January 2020, Vice Commander, 446th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
16. January 2020 – present, Mobilization Assistant to the Commander 20th Air Force, Francis E. Warren AFB, Wyo.
Rating: Command Pilot
Flight hours: More than 13,000 Military & Civilian
Aircraft flown: UH-1H, HH-3E, MH-53J/M, T-37, C-17A, and 5 variants of the Boeing 737
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Aerial Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal with one oak leaf cluster
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTIONS
Second Lieutenant May 30, 1990
First Lieutenant May 30, 1992
Captain May 1994
Major April 2001
Lieutenant Colonel April 2008
Colonel December 2014
(Current as of April 2020)