Transferring Schools this PCS season? You need to know about MIC3

  • Published
  • By Staff Reports
  • 90th Force Support Squadron School Liaison Officer
What are the Issues?

Military families encounter school challenges for their children for enrollment, eligibility, placement and graduation due to frequent relocations in service to our country.

What is the Compact?

The Compact provides for the uniform treatment of military children transferring between school districts and states. It was developed by The Council of State Governments' National Center for Interstate Compacts, the Department of Defense, national associations, federal and state officials, departments of education, school administrators and military families.

What Children Are Eligible for Assistance Under the Compact:

Children of:
- Active duty members of the uniformed services, National Guard and Reserve on active duty orders
- Service members or veterans who are medically discharged or retired for one year
- Service members who die on active duty

What children are not eligible for assistance under the Compact?

Children of:
- Inactive service member of the National Guard and Reserves
- Service members now retired not covered above
- Veterans not covered above
- Department of Defense personnel, federal agency civilians and contract employees not defined as active duty

What are some of the specific educational issues that the Compact covers?

- Educational records
- Immunizations
- Kindergarten and first grade entrance age

- Course and educational program placement
- Special education services
- Placement flexibility
- Absence related to deployment activities

- Eligibility for student enrollment
- Eligibility for extracurricular participation

- Waiving courses required for graduation if similar course work has been completed
- Flexibility in accepting state exit or end-of-course exams, national achievement tests, or alternative testing in lieu of testing requirements for graduation in the receiving state
- Allowing a student to receive a diploma from the sending school instead of the receiving school

For more information regarding MIC3, visit